Key Points from Internet Summit 2013
This past month, I attended the 6th annual Internet Summit in Raleigh. Here are some major points that were discussed that may be of interest to you and your web presence.
SEO Experts -
‘Engage your community with good content’ – If you have good news, share it.
Obtain good links from sources like … suppliers, vertical directories, clients, etc. Quality of links will outperform quantity of links.
‘Google’s Hummingbird Update was a major change in Google’s search logic’ – It is based more on conversation logic, where semantics and implied content drives the search results. In other words, Google is trying to determine what you THINK you want, in a search.
Email is not dead, just another channel to share your news.
Capture your readers’ attention in 8 seconds! Each email should have one goal! Tell your story.
Social media (FB, Twitter, G+, YouTube, etc.) -
‘If you do not tell your (business) story in social media (FB, Twitter, G+, YouTube, etc.), your business will die’
‘Every business is in the media business’ – Promote your message in ALL platforms!
Respect the social media platform you are using. (Use it properly)
‘Social media is similar to yesterday’s word of mouth’
‘Share content’ – Communicate w/ the world, ask questions.
‘Good content gets shared’ – Let the world know what you (your business) is doing.
Mobile Web -
‘Design for mobile first’ – Simple messages, direct content, properly sized navigation / menus
‘Ergonomics should guide mobile design’ - White space is most important in mobile design.
‘Mobile SEO is based on local intent’ – Provide local offers, local interests
Overlapping Circles of SEO
1. Great content - Having only great content will make for a nice site, but no one will know about it.
2. Good social presence - Your info will be known around your circles, but no where else.
3. Many links - Your business may be linked to from many places, but not much info to share or of any interest.
4. Good content & many links - You have good content and have many links, but your message is not being amplified in the social media world.
5. Good content and good social presence - You have good content and many social contacts, but without authoritative links, the search engines will not rank you high.
6. Good social presence and many links - You have good social connections and many links, but your content may be weak and not complete.
7. Good content, social presence and many links - WINNER! You have great content, many related / authoritative companies link to your site AND this information is constantly being shared in the SOCIAL communities of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.
If you have not done so, please take this short 1-2 minute survey about RWD -
Review Rich's Web Design
As most of you are aware, obtaining reviews on sites like Google, Yahoo, Bing or Yelp are important for ANY web business! Now you can place a review on one of the web's most trusted sites - 'Angie's List'.
Have a Great December!
This newsletter conforms to the "CAN-SPAM" Act, formally known as the "Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited
Pornography and Marketing Act of 2003", in so far as it includes
1. Clear Header information,
2. An accurate subject line,
3. A functioning return e-mail address,
4. You have NOT returned a request to remove your address within or prior to the previous 10 days and
5. It is NOT Commercial e-mail, therefore it does not need to contain a clear identification that the message is an advertisement.