Rich’s Web Design – August Newsletter
– How SEO is Changing via Mobile, Voice & Social –
WordPress powers over a quarter of the internet. More than 1 in 4 websites on the web are built on it.
When it comes to search engine optimization (SEO), WordPress is one of the best platforms. So if you’re thinking about building a website with SEO in mind from the start, you probably want to go with WordPress. But that doesn’t mean it will be easy.
14. Use the latest version of WordPress
15. Keep ALL plugins up-to-date!
6 Things to Check When Your Rankings Drop
Most RWD clients receive Monthly Ranking Reports on the 1st of each month. Our goal is to see as many of your targeted search phrases improve in rankings ino the single digits / top 10 rankings. Statistically speaking your phrases cannot improve each and every month; Some months yoru rankings have to decline. What do we do?
If just a few phrases move down 2-3-4 positions, I do not worry, as next month they usually bounce back; This I consider normal fluctuation.
If more than a few phrases drop significantly, then I follow these steps:
1. Make sure the site is still showing properly, even though I have support tools that inform me within 5 minutes that a site is ‘Down’.
2. Check SEO basics – I do a Screaming Frog report which shows me whether H1s, META info and broken links are not causing problems.
3. Check Google Console reports – These are similar to the Google Queries report that you also receive on the first. ‘Google Console’ will show if any items are causing a search errors / warnings.
4. Check Google Analytics to see if any significant traffic drops are showing. Where are these occurring?
5. Check to see if the mobile version is causing a traffic problem.
6. Check Back links – Tools such as Ahrefs, Majestic, and Open Site Explorer can show what sites are linking to you.
There are a few other items that may need to be checked for other clients, relating to spammy back links, mobile-friendly, etc. All RWD sites have been mobile-friendly since April 2015, plus we never partake in any SPAMMY back links, therefore checking these items are usually not necessary.